Wednesday, I met up with the talented Christopher Evans, and we had a fabulous time roaming the city. Christopher is an incredibly talented photographer that has a nack for taking fabulous shots with 'toy cameras'. It really is not that easy to take a decent picture to begin with, taking pictures with trash cams that are breath taking is just mind boggling to me. Please check out his site and tell him how fabulous he truly is!!!
We hit Commercial Drive and found several interesting stores, including a camera store that has many 'trash cams'. We were both a little amazed and drooled over the cameras behind the glass for some time. We were ignored by the staff/owners for sometime & when they finally bothered to ask if we needed any help, Christopher enquired about a "Canomatic" which is essentially a range finder type camera that is "focus free" with little options or ability. The ability is all that of the camera wielder. We were told in a laughing tone that it was an older model and it sold for 75. I asked Christopher if he meant 75 cents or dollars, to which he laughed and said, I think we should leave. We killed ourselves laughing as we left the store.
It's really too bad. Spending time with Christopher and many 'Vandigicam' participants has made me interested in trying my hand at film cameras. It's been while to say the least. There were several SLR's that I would have loved to try or get my hands on there, but if they were going to sell a $10 camera for $75, there was no way that I was going to get a Yashika from the 70's for under $50. Oh well.
Shortly after that laughable experience, Christopher decided that Value Village would be a good side trip. Oh yea baby. It was a much bigger store than there are in London. I was hoping for an amazing find. Maybe not exactly what I was hoping for, but . . .

. . . rather appropriate that I get a trash cam with a dog on it eh?! LOL. I had to get the Snap Crackle and Pop cam as well. Got to jump on the bandwagon man!!
I also scored some old knitting needles from a thrift store. They are all different sizes and colours. I have no idea what I will do with them, but hey, I love 'em anyway!
Christopher took me to look at the dock cranes which I find absolutely amazing! I couldn't imagine a job where you have to look below you all day long. Can you say back pain?! We also briefly stopped in China town where the man had me laughing non-stop. I picked up an apron that has some interesting English translation on it. The store we stopped in just had a bunch of cool things in it. Christopher picked up a small clear hotwater bottle for black_siren's penguin addiction. It even had a fish inside of it for the peguins printed on the outside to consume, we imagined. LOL
Today, I am meeting Travis's wife Susie and we are hitting another yarn store. I'm looking forward to this - this is supposed to be one of the good ones out here. I mean, I did hit a nice one in Squamish and another on my wanderings on Tuesday (which was small and didn't have much, but the ladies were nice - I bought some 'pingouin' baby yarn for 2.50 a ball and a Rebecca, that I realized is from 2003) but can you ever hit enough yarn stores?? Really, can you?! I think not, or at least I hope not.
It was great meeting everyone in Vandigicam and thank you to Jamie for organizing it and everyone for meeting up and taking part!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment